Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Tales of the New West" by Hernandez/Jew

I've been slowly cleaning out my studio lately.  I've been going through lots of old work that I haven't seen in decades.  I came across this comics page I did in 1988.  I was just finishing up in art school and was soon to embark upon my film career at ILM when I did this. This page was one of a handful I did for "Tales of the New West", a project written by Mario Hernandez of Love and Rockets fame.  I was ( and still am ) a huge fan of all three Hernandez Bros, so I was extremely excited when Mario asked me to help him out on the project.  Unfortunately, with my fulltime school load among other things, I wasn't able to commit my full attention to the project at the time and it never got off the ground.  The story was a quirky, imaginative adventure story and I would have loved to see were it would've gone.


At Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 1:20:00 PM PST, Blogger etmthree said...

Hello --

I'm sorry to bother you; I hope you can help me find decent-sized (digital) copies of some wonderful gag artwork you did at ILM in the 90s. If I recall correctly, you did 3 amazing EC Comics "covers" with VFX themes. I think they may have gone out as a holiday card. Is there anyplace where they can be found/seen/purchased?
There's a whole new generation of VFX artists who could appreciate the humor.


Ed Manning

At Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 1:05:00 PM PST, Blogger benton jew said...


The art department created three ECish pieces of artwork to advertise the 1997 ILM Halloween Party. Huge Banners were made, as well as postcards sent to ILMer's. A nice poster was even made of my "Attack of the Nitpickers" piece. Brian O'Connell did a "Howard the Duck" piece, and Scott Leberecht did a "George Lucas mask" piece.

I also did a scifi themed piece the next year.

I was going to do a post about the "Nitpickers" piece ( and others like it ) this month anyway, so stay tuned.

At Monday, February 22, 2010 at 11:45:00 AM PST, Blogger crazy_asian_man said...

Very cool--- speaking of comix- What's the status of your new comic book stuff, though, btw?


Post a Comment

<< Home