Sunday, May 11, 2008

Supergirl in Living Color part 2




Three brave folks took the challenge to color my Supergirl sketch. They are all beautifully done, but what's really surprising is the variety you can get from a single image. My flat lighting doesn't offer a lot of opportunities, but there still is a lot of variety.
Beautiful women can be especially hard to make interesting under these circumstances. My brother Anson's contribution took a softer, airbrushed look, yet with bolder color choices, reinforcing her feminine features. Kevin Levell suggested a low light source with pinpoint highlights. Suggests some sweatiness after a particularly grueling fight! Brian O'Connell offered a more sculptural approach, defining the planes of the face and figure. Also neat was the knocking out of the black line with color.
These are all really beautiful and unique! Thanks to all who participated. Great work!

3 Comments:

At Monday, June 30, 2008 at 4:08:00 PM PDT, Blogger crazy_asian_man said...

I never realized how much color can save or 'destroy' artwork until I saw the Mike Kaluta "Shadow" comic book hardback collection destroyed/colored by Klaus Janson.

If I didn't pick up the original comic books way back when (unfortunately on the fragile-as hell yellow paper), I wouldn't have known how great Kaluta's work was. Ironic that a collection meant to honor his work ended up (imo) killing it with too much reinventing of the wheel (much like the Special Edition Star Wars, but that's an old and different rant)...

(*A similiar thing I think happened with the computer overcoloring and shading of Barry Windsor Smith's Conan reprints by Dark Horse.)
*sigh*

 
At Monday, June 30, 2008 at 4:38:00 PM PDT, Blogger benton jew said...

I couldn't agree with you more! Bad coloring can destroy good artwork. When I heard they were reprinting the old Frank Thorne Red Sonja series, I was so excited and ready to shell out the cash. When I saw the book, my enthusiasm just evaporated and I kept my money in my wallet. Ditto for Conan. So much stuff gets over-rendered that the original linework gets lost and it just turns to mud. Too bad, since the tools of coloring are so much more durable, controllable, and easier to use these days. There is little excuse for bad coloring anymore.

 
At Friday, July 17, 2009 at 12:02:00 AM PDT, Blogger Heather said...

I was cleaning off my desktop today and found this image. So I colored it- better a year late than never, eh? If you fancy a look, here's my version:
http://heathermcnabb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/supergirl_colors-300x300.jpg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home