Saturday, September 08, 2007

The Shadow Returns



I don't normally redo work that's "finished", but I felt compelled to do so this time because I never quite felt satisfied with the way the piece turned out the first time ( see my April 28 post ). The new piece is a lot closer to what I had in mind originally. This time I did it all digitally, and made it more painterly as well as bolder in terms of design. I definitely wanted to play more with hiding him in the shadows etc. I even considered adding a Chrysler building style eagle gargoyle on the far right frame, to mirror the Shadow's profile ( who knows, maybe I'll do it in another version again in another 4 months! )

6 Comments:

At Monday, September 10, 2007 at 6:20:00 PM PDT, Blogger Dominic Bugatto said...

Damn that's sweet. Nicely done . It certainly has more 'weight' & drama than the initial sketch ( which I still really dig ).

 
At Monday, September 10, 2007 at 11:24:00 PM PDT, Blogger Roberto Zaghi said...

Very well drawn and composed, it has a great sense of space and perspective. Love the simplicity of the colors, the perfect writing (font, color, props). The Shadow's shadow is just amazing!
-rz-

 
At Saturday, September 15, 2007 at 12:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger benton jew said...

dominic and roberto-Thanks for the comments! It was a fun piece to (re)do!

 
At Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 2:50:00 PM PDT, Blogger crazy_asian_man said...

Frakking awesome!!!

 
At Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 12:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger warren said...

I like the new fonts. But there's something so cool about the 'old school' look of the other Shadow! That just screams comic book to me. This, however is a great comp for a movie poster or website launch.

 
At Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 4:59:00 PM PST, Blogger Heidi Smith said...

I really love this design, the character is wonderful!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home