Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Black and White Golden Green Guy


I commissioned Michael Golden to do this beautiful Hulk drawing for me earlier this year at Wizard World Con L.A. Talk about a piece that would be fun to color! His use of lighting to clearly delineate all the different planes and surfaces on the face is truly phenomenal. Mr. Golden will be making an appearance at Super-Con on May 17th and 18th ( this weekend! ) at the San Jose Convention Center South Hall in beautiful San Jose, California. I will be making the trip up north to check it out as Super-Con seems to be good about getting the best artists as guests. In addition to Mike Golden, a rare appearance by Jordi Bernet!!! Also Adam Hughes, Frank Cho, Travis Charest, Sanjulian, Dan Brereton, Esteban Maroto, Alex Nino, Bill Pressing, Dean Yeagle, Joe Jusko, and many others. Could be worse ways to spend a weekend...

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 12:31:00 PM PDT, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

That is AMAZING!! Can I ask if he drew that at the con? or was it a take home commission that he mailed to you? I'm figuring the former as it says WWLA on it.

 
At Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 11:37:00 PM PDT, Blogger benton jew said...

Love the way Golden often sculpts the form and surfaces with lighting, so in that spirit, I asked him for a wet, moodily lit Hulk.
Originally, I wanted him to draw it there at the con so I could learn how he approached a drawing, unfortunately, it was late in the day, and he had a lot of other sketches to do. He eventually sent it to me in the mail and obviously hit it out of the ballpark!

 
At Friday, May 16, 2008 at 3:49:00 AM PDT, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

You got a truly beautiful drawing - you're pretty lucky! I've been waiting on two Golden commissions - the first one dating back to November of 2006...that's right - 18 months now, both paid upfront. I'm crossing my fingers I'll get them...eventually!

If you want to see Michael do a pencil drawing from start to finish, if you don't already have it, I recommend the Modern Masters 'In The Studio' DVD with him. Part of the bonus material has him drawing Dejah Thoris from John Carter, Warlord of Mars. (in speeded up motion, but it still takes 20 min or so). Pretty cool.

 
At Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 6:40:00 PM PDT, Blogger Dominic Bugatto said...

Great piece indeed.

Love Golden's work.

 
At Sunday, June 1, 2008 at 11:14:00 AM PDT, Blogger benton jew said...

The keeper's notes- Haven't got that DVD yet. Been meaning to, but I seem to just miss getting it at the local comic stores. I hear there's another DVD in the works scheduled for later this year.

dominic-He is awesome. Seems like he's on a media blitz this year with a lot more new product.

 
At Saturday, January 16, 2010 at 3:25:00 AM PST, Blogger Deanie Canales said...

Brilliant art work! I must say its a good work. Your friend is fantastic artist. I am a storyboard artist at www.showboatentertainment.com. You can find good stuff in there regardless of arts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home