Monday, January 22, 2007

Good Old-Fashioned Pencilled Storyboards





Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Thought I might add some samples of my old storyboard work. I did these about 5-6 years ago, but I still kinda like them. Done the old-fashioned way with paper and pencil, but then later manipulated in Photoshop. I must say I still like the look of pencilled storyboards ( and so do a lot of directors ). I've planned on abandoning the pencil altogether in my work as it's much more convenient to just do it on the computer. My apartment is overflowing with old original pencil drawings, and packrat that I am, I just can't get myself to toss them. Keeping things in the digital world seems to be the best answer. I like the versatillity that I get doing boards in photshop, but when I look at these old-school boards I kind of long for the variation of gray and line thickness as well as the snap of the pencil stroke etc. So here's the question--anyone out there have any "recipes" for making computer art look and feel more like traditional pencil?

6 Comments:

At Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 9:59:00 PM PST, Blogger BKO said...

God bless you for caring Benton! I've denegrated into just getting something to editorial, be it stick figure, photo, pencil, or computer generated. I try to keep the art in storyboarding but more often then not it's just a placeholder. It seems what's good about the aesthetic pencil negates what's good about the good ol computer, and vice versa. I know those fancy PIXAR folks(Ronnie D) have some special brushes they like to use that make digital boards a little more appealing. If you get an answer please fill me in! Still trying...
-brian

 
At Friday, January 26, 2007 at 8:36:00 AM PST, Blogger dave yee said...

Hey Benton, these are awesome boards. I know that storyboards are much quicker to do/format/etc on the computer, but these are so beautiful. I hope you still get a chance to do some work in pencil.

 
At Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 8:10:00 PM PST, Blogger benton jew said...

bko and dyee- Occasionally I've put paper on top of my tablet when I draw to give it a little "drag". Still doesn't help when I want to do something with a hard dark edge on one side, and a softer, lighter edge on the other ( as if you were using the side of a pencil ).
Although the paper on the tablet thing won't really work if/when I get that Cintiq. I say "if" now because I read about that new "ModBook" that was announced earlier this year. Great to have a Cintiq experience that is more portable. I'm actually in North Carolina on a new project and I'm sure it would've been a hassle to lug a heavy Cintiq on the plane ( or expensive to ship it ! ) Anyone out there have a chance to play with the ModBook at Macworld or have experience with any of the other portable tablets?

 
At Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 5:21:00 PM PST, Blogger crazy_asian_man said...

Very very very cool stuff....
Really glad you're NOT throwing away your old pencil drawings- are you really dead-set on going 100% digital?

(Though I guess that's probably the more practical way to go...still...maybe just nostalgic about anything non-digital....)

 
At Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 10:10:00 AM PST, Blogger benton jew said...

crazy_asian_man-I could never throw away my old pencil drawings as I'm a big packrat. I will however, avoid making huge amounts of new ones by going mainly digital with my storyboard work ( unless otherwise requested--as with the current project I'm on ) and my comic-book work. I'll still be doing some personal work traditionally--cause nothing quite feels like pencil or ink--but the majority will be digital.

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 10:44:00 AM PDT, Blogger eyekaps said...

try Alias Sketchbook Pro. Gives the good old feeling of pencils. If you can do it on a wacom cintiq, even better. Nice work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home